The name Balornock is reckoned by historians to be of Cumbric origin, a language related to Cornish, Welsh and Breton which was spoken in parts of southern Scotland and northern England during the Middle Ages. The name first appears in a bull issued by Pope Urban III on the 12th of June 1186 to Archbishop Joceline of Glasgow as Buthlornoc, which probably means the “church of Louernoc”, that is the church dedicated to a saint with the name Louernoc or Llwernog.
Modern Balornock owes its existence to the scheme of building carried out by Glasgow Corporation between the First and the Second World War. The growing Catholic population necessitated the foundation of a new parish which was granted the name Immaculate Heart of Mary, the first parish in Britain to be dedicated to the Immaculate Heart of the Blessed Virgin.
Following much groundwork, the parish was opened on the 9th of December 1951, whereupon the Sacrament of Confirmation was administered by the Archbishop to 350 children and 30 adult converts.
As the booklet that was published to commemorate the first day of the new parish comments:
Thus ended a glorious day for the Catholics of Balornock. We trust that those who read this short account of the parish in years to come will continue the good work of their ancestors. Keep the faith alive in their hearts in spite of opposition and difficulties; and sometimes remember in their prayers the Catholics of 1951 who helped raise a church to the Glory of God and in honour of the Immaculate Heart of Mary.