What is the First Saturday Devotion?
On December 10, 1925, Our Lady appeared with the Child Jesus to Sister Lucy, the sole surviving seer of the 1917 Fatima apparitions —in her convent in Pontevedra, Spain. She placed one hand on Sr. Lucy’s shoulder and in the other hand she showed her a Heart surrounded by thorns. The Child Jesus said to her:
Have compassion on the Heart of your Most Holy Mother, covered with thorns with which ungrateful men pierce it at every moment, and there is no one to make an act of reparation to remove them.
After this, the Blessed Virgin said:
Look, my daughter, at my Heart, surrounded with thorns with which ungrateful men pierce me at every moment by their blasphemies and ingratitude. You at least try to console me and announce in my name that I promise to assist at the moment of death, with all the graces necessary for salvation, all those who, on the first Saturday of five consecutive months shall receive the sacrament of Confession, receive Holy Communion, recite five decades of the Rosary, and keep me company for fifteen minutes while meditating on the fifteen Mysteries of the Rosary, with the intention of making reparation to my Immaculate Heart.
Here it is important to consider that reparation is to be made to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Naturally, all reparation for sin is directed to God the Father, through the Son, in the Holy Ghost, but the Blessed Virgin’s unique role in the salvation of mankind makes sin especially hurtful to her Heart. And, making reparation means to make amends for this harm that has been done to her.
How to complete the First Saturday Devotion:
On the 1st Saturdays of 5 consecutive months:
- Make a good Confession (This can be made within 8 days before or after the first Saturday).
- Receive Holy Communion (Regarding the difficulty that some could meet in fulfilling this requirement on Saturday, Our Lord told Sr. Lucy: “The practice of this devotion will be equally acceptable on the Sunday following the first Saturday when my priests, for a just cause, allow the faithful”).
- Pray 5 decades of the Holy Rosary.
- Keep Our Lady company for 15 minutes while meditating on the 15 mysteries of the Holy Rosary. This is to be done separately from the Rosary using one, several or all of the mysteries.
- The above 4 requirements must all be done with the intention of making reparation to the Immaculate Heart of Mary.
Promises of the Blessed Virgin to Sr. Lucy
- The Virgin Mary’s assistance at the hour of death with the graces necessary for salvation.
- Establishing devotion to the Immaculate Heart will result in the salvation of souls and peace.
Why Five Saturdays?
Saturday has traditionally been set aside as a day to honour Mary. For, on the first Holy Saturday — between the day of Jesus’ Crucifixion and that of his Resurrection — she alone remained steadfast in her Faith that Jesus would rise again as He said. Beyond this, Sr. Lucy related that the reason for five Saturdays was to make reparation for the five types of offences and blasphemies committed against the Immaculate Heart of Mary:
- Blasphemies against the Immaculate Conception.
- Blasphemies against her virginity.
- Blasphemies against her divine maternity, in refusing at the same time to recognise her as the Mother of men.
- The blasphemies of those who publicly seek to sow in the hearts of children indifference to, or scorn or even hatred of this Immaculate Mother.
- The offences of those who outrage her directly in her holy images.